What happens if my dog ate Tomcat mouse killer?
At relatively low exposures, symptoms include unsteadiness, weakness that starts in the hind end and can progress forward, muscle tremors, depression, and vomiting. When a dog gets into a large amount of bromethalin, the symptoms are more severe. Pets typically develop some combination of the following: muscle tremors.
How much Tomcat poison is harmful to dogs?
Unfortunately, it turns out the bromethalin can be fatal to dogs in fairly small amounts — less than 38 ten-thousandths of an ounce (108 mg) will kill a fifty pound dog, although it can take as little as one-fifth of that amount to kill a young dog of the same size.
What are the symptoms of poisoning in dogs?
Signs & Symptoms of Poisoning in Dogs
- Nausea and/or vomiting.
- Heart problems.
- Kidney failure.
How do you treat Bromethalin poisoning in dogs?
Treatment of Bromethalin Exposure If bromethalin toxicosis occurs, the dog’s digestive tract needs to be decontaminated immediately. This may be done by induction of vomiting, and then ad- ministration of activated charcoal and an osmotic cathartic, which will induce the bowels to empty.
What happens if my dog ate Tomcat rat poison?
This poison increases calcium levels in the body to a life-threatening level. Ingestion of this poison may lead to acute renal failure (kidney failure) and cardiac problems. Acute kidney failure will develop 3 to 4 days after ingestion. Signs may not be evident for 1 to 2 days.
Can a dog recover from Bromethalin?
It may take several weeks to recover from even a mild bromethalin poisoning. Symptoms should be monitored and managed accordingly to avoid further complications.
What happens if a dog eats a mouse that has been poisoned?
Rat and mouse poisons, also known as rodenticides, are products formulated to kill rodents. The chemicals used in these products are often highly toxic to dogs and can cause internal bleeding, kidney failure, organ damage and even death if eaten by your dog.
Can a dog survive bromethalin?
For example, in dogs, an average lethal dose of technical grade bromethalin is reported to be 4.7 mg/kg but 2.38 mg/kg in bait. Young dogs (<1 yr old) appear more sensitive; death has been reported at dosages of ~1 mg/kg in bait. Dogs are more commonly involved. Cats are 2–3 times more sensitive than dogs.
What happens if a dog eats bromethalin?
Bromethalin affects the coating around nerves in the body which leads to neurologic signs. Smaller ingestions of bromethalin may just lead to mild stomach upset. Mid-range ingestions can cause your pet to become unsteady on their feet, mildly depressed and even have mild muscle tremors.
What do I do if my dog ate bromethalin?
If bromethalin toxicosis occurs, the dog’s digestive tract needs to be decontaminated immediately. This may be done by induction of vomiting, and then ad- ministration of activated charcoal and an osmotic cathartic, which will induce the bowels to empty.
Should I be worried if my dog ate a mouse?
A poisoned mouse can seriously harm a dog if it is swallowed. Yes, even if the toxin is only present in small amounts. If your pup has eaten a dead mouse or one caught near a populated area where people are likely to put out rodenticides, call your local pet poisoning hotline or your veterinarian immediately.
How many blocks of Tomcat mouse poison did my Dog Eat?
There are about 3 blocks missing, 3 bait blocks of Tomcat mouse killer, Both dogs ate My dogs ate Tomcat mouse poison. There are about 3 blocks… My German shepherd ate a whole block of tom cat mouse bait sometimein the last couple hours.
What is the active ingredient in Tomcat mouse poison?
Our 32 pound dog ate one block of Tomcat mouse poison. The Our 32 pound dog ate one block of Tomcat mouse poison. The active ingredient is bromethalin.
Is Tomcat mouse killer Safe for dogs?
For added precaution, use Tomcat® Mouse Killer Refillable Stations – Child and Dog-Resistant or the Tomcat® Rat Killer Disposable Station – Child & Dog-Resistant, which are designed to be resistant to tampering by children and dogs.
Are Tomcat bait stations safe for dogs?
A: Tomcat® has bait stations that are Child & Dog Resistant. They have been proven resistant to tampering by children and dogs. However, as with all poisons, care should be taken to keep them away from children, pets, and wildlife. All bait refills should be stored in areas that dogs and kids cannot access.